Taking proper care of teeth and your gums and maintaining good oral health is a lifelong commitment. Your mouth is a door to your overall health. That’s why your oral health is an essential part of your well-being.
Learning about oral health fundamentals and proper oral hygiene practices will help you avoid costly dental procedures and bigger health problems ranging from tooth loss and periodontitis to heart disease and diabetes.
Oral Health Affects Overall Health
Good oral hygiene isn’t limited to preventing cavities and gum disease. Research has proven an association between an individual’s oral health and overall health.
Your oral cavity contains bacteria that make up the normal flora of your mouth. They’re mostly harmless. However, a diet rich in sugar and poor oral hygiene creates conditions where harmful bacteria can thrive. These harmful bacteria produce acids that dissolve the tooth enamel and cause oral infections and cavities. These oral problems can even result in tooth loss and gum disease.
If the infection is left untreated, it can spread to other parts of your body. Studies also show poor oral hygiene is linked to heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Moreover, if you have tooth decay and gum disease, you’ll not only experience severe pain, but your self-confidence will also be affected. Oral health problems may also lead to speech problems (in case of tooth loss) and malnutrition and cause several challenges in an individual’s work and personal life.
Therefore, keeping your teeth and gums healthy is essential to long-lasting overall health and well-being.
Signs of Good Oral Health
The following are some signs of good oral health:
- Your gums are a nice pink colour
- Your gums don’t bleed when you’re brushing or flossing
- Your teeth feel smooth, which means that they’re clean
- Your tongue is pink and moist
- You have pleasant-smelling breath
- You have strong teeth
- You won’t find any signs of gum disease (like red and swollen gums, toothache, and sensitivity)
- You have a beautiful smile with no discoloured or stained teeth
Tips for Maintaining a Good Oral Health
If you like to maintain good oral health, here’s what you need to do:
- Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day
- Try not to forget to clean your tongue when you are brushing
- Floss your teeth at least once a day
- Use mouthwash after brushing and flossing to further reduce the risk of developing cavities.
- Eat a healthy diet and limit your sugar intake
- Drink plenty of water
- Drink fluoridated water
- Go for a diet high in fruits and vegetables
- Replace your toothbrush after 3 to 4 months
- Avoid tobacco products
- Schedule regular dental checkups and cleanings
- Go to your dentist at least once every six months
- Visit your dentist if you notice any sudden changes or symptoms of gum disease.
Schedule a Dental Checkup in Coorparoo, QLD
Do you feel like your oral health needs some improvement?
Visit the Dentist at Coorparoo for the best dental services in Coorparoo, QLD, Australia. Our team of highly experienced dentists will perform a mouth evaluation and help you maintain good oral health.
Give us a phone call today and schedule your appointment.